top of page


If you feel your pet has ingested something it should not have, take action immediately !

Contact your vet or AKC Vetline as soon as possible. 

Or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-764-7661) for accurate advice.

 (You will be charged a fee when you call the helpline.)

Dangerous Plants

A few common plants to be aware of that are or can be toxic to your pet are: Sago Palm, Oleander, Azaleas, Hydrangea, Rhododendron, Poinsettia, Daisy, Holly, Avacado, Ivy, Geranium, Gardenia, Nandina, Mums, Garlic and so many others. In some cases it is certain parts of the plant that can be deadly if ingested while other can be any part. Also be aware COCOA MULCH can lead to problems

To See a Complete List:

Poisonous Mushrooms

Often there are mushrooms growing in your yard. Unless you are a mushroom expert, I recommend these be removed before letting your puppy out to play. Mushrooms with white gills are often poisonous. So are those with a ring around the stem and those with a volva. Because the volva is often underground, it's important to dig around the base of a mushroom to look for it. Mushrooms with a red color on the cap or stem are also either poisonous or strongly hallucinogenic.

Dangerous Foods

Almost everybody has heard not to feed Fido Chocolate or Onions, but the list is much longer.

There has been a real concern over the increase in products that now contain Xylitol (artificial sweetener) which is highly toxic to your dog.

Xylitol can be found in chewing gum, cough drops, peanut butter, peppermints, electrolytes and So So Many more products.

To be safe before giving your dog anything other than "dog food" check the label !

I use to suggest stuffing Kongs with Peanut Butter, but now you must read the label first !! 

Here is a list of some other foods to be aware of and avoid.


Certain Medications  (See Tab)

bottom of page